Thursday, October 4, 2007

Welcome!

Welcome to my new blog were I'll be writing about my experiences as a first time theater director. Am I a first time director? No. I have done film directing for over 14 years but this is my first time directing a stage play. So I thought it would be fun to chronicle the whole thing on here for my family and friends to follow. Plus when it's all over with it'll be neat to look back on this for myself too. I'm very excited and looking forward to doing it.
The play that I will be directing is "The Miracle Worker."

Let me back up just a bit and tell you(for those that don't know) how I came into this position...
I had an interview with our local community theater, Robidoux Resident Theater, in town on 10-9-2007. They were looking for a director for an upcoming play. I went and had the interview with Jeff Haney at 11am. We had a good hour long talk about everything. He even showed me the rehearsal/costume hall! Now that was neat. Felt like being in NY!

At about 2:30pm the same day Jeff(who was extremely nice) emailed me and said I HAD THE JOB! So now I'm a theater director! hahahaha Like I said before the play is "The Miracle Worker" based on the life of young Helen Keller and her teacher Anne Sullivan. Very dramatic play.
It's going to be preformed in the historic theater we have here the Missouri Theater on Nov 16th,17th 18th. I'll be taking pics/videos of to post on the blog. So very excited about that.

I think we'll be casting for it next week as they want to get started on it quick with just 4-5 weeks away from show time. Also I'll be meeting with with my technical director(sets/lights) in a few days to talk with him about the sets he'll be making for the production.

It's going to be a fun time with some hard work thrown in but I'm looking forward to it!
I'll keep this blog updated as much as I can. Things will really kick in once the cast is set and we're off and rolling.
Till next time, break a leg(just not mine)
-CP

No comments: